Coast to Coast Multisport Kayak Course
4 Days $1,149
Be totally prepared for race-day.
Improve your river skills on our highly popular Coast to Coast Kayak Course. We’ll help you go beyond the basics, so you feel in complete control. Unlike any other training program in New Zealand, you will have the critical advantage of completing all four days of your time with us on the Waimakariri River, and in your own multisport racing kayak.
First, we’ll help tune your boat and paddle set-up. Receive a complete video analysis of your forward stroke technique before heading onto moving water. We will then take you through the perfect skills progression. Your coach will help you to transfer the whitewater techniques learned during your Grade 2 Kayak Course into your race-boat, and onto the unique features of the Waimakariri River.
On the final day of this program we will guide you down the Kathmandu Coast to Coast Kayak Leg – including the Gorge section if you are ready for it. We’ll be able to teach you how to negotiate the notoriously tricky “bluff corners” which is an area where many competitors struggle on race-day.
Don’t just survive the river. Once you’ve completed these four days with us, you will be feeling far more confident in your race boat and ready to safely take on the river section with style.
- Spend all four days in your multisport race boat. Gear hire available if you need it (at additional charge).
- Waimakariri Gorge Guided Trip included on final day (weather & skills permitting).
- Train in a small group size of just three paddlers per coach.
- Improve your roll.
- Kathmandu Coast to Coast Race approved.
- Receive professional coaching from an NZOIA qualified instructor.
- Learn over four consecutive days so you reach a higher skill level.
- Fully safety audited & registered with AdventureMark.
- Learn more about us…
Skills You’ll Learn
- How to set up your boat and wing paddle.
- Forward stroke technique video analysis.
- Improve your rudder & steering skills.
- How to roll with a wing paddle.
- Improve your moving water skills.
- How to choose lines for race day.
- How to paddle large wave trains including the Hamilton Rapids.
- How to tackle bluff corners.
- How to pick braids.
- How to deal with seam-lines.
- How to effectively use the low brace.
- How to analyse weather and flow reports.
- Gain experience paddling the Wiamak’ Gorge.
- Get tips for race-day and answers to all your questions.
- Plus much more!
- Grade 2 Kayak Course attended (or equivalent experience).
- You must be able to swim.
- You need to be of good health & fitness.
- You need to be between 16-65 years old.
- You need to be between 50-110kg.
“I now feel excited and ready for C2C 2019”
Excellent program that totally exceeded my expectations. The combination of grade 2 certificate course, plus this multisport training has progressed my kayaking to a point where I now feel excited and ready for C2C 2019. Thanks Sam!
“I loved experiencing the Gorge”
Such a great experience. Thanks Sam. I learnt heaps, built confidence and really enjoyed being on the river. I loved experiencing the Gorge and spending time with great people.
“Just what I needed”
Over the four days I feel I have learnt so much and progressed really quickly. Great instruction, the content of the program was just what I needed. To be able to expereince the river over four days was perfect. Thanks!
“This program was fantastic”
After completing my Grade 2 Course with Sam, this program was fantastic. The locations used for the longer boats were spot-on. It was great to complete most of the race route over a couple days. Looking forward to my Waimakariri River Guided Trip soon!
I tacked this program on straight after my G2 (with a one day gap). I live near Dunedin so this seemed practical to do, and turned out a good way to do it with the one day to rest.The program was very informative with good theory and info done in a classroom setting. The video review of stroke technique before and after coaching tips was great too. C2C 2-day done in Feb ’17 and I benefited from the things this course taught. In hindsight, the faster lines course would probably also have been of benefit so I’m probably going to book that in before the next C2C I do.
“A good call”
I’d already done my G2 with Canterbury Kayaking, but C2C was my aim so this training seemed perfect for me. It was a good call, I’d been struggling with conflicting coaching info from my limited whitewater experience, some work I’d done with flat water racing clubs and a bit of ocean racing. Canterbury Kayaking helped me to figure out what I was actually trying to achieve in the boat, and I successfully completed the one day C2C having not done the race previously.
“Invaluable for me”
Your courses have been invaluable for me on my Coast to Coast longest days 2013 & 2016. Number 1 with you is always our safety which immediately allows us to relax. You then have a great ability to be able to make sure everyone within a group is catered for, whatever their level. Explanation of lines, both fast and safe makes for very enjoyable paddling and has enabled me to look forward to getting in the boat every time.
“Confidence to hit the river”
Great training! I came over from Australia to do my Certificate, had such a blast I signed up for this course and Faster Lines. Sam’s coaching gave me the confidence to hit the river knowing I was going to have a wicked time on race day. Each week had a crew with various levels of experience but somehow Sam managed to coach us to our personal limits safely and support us all to reach our race goals.
“Best coaching ever”
Best coaching ever. Thanks to your 1. Direction 2. Speed and 3. Edge I made it without swim through the Gorge today. Finishing 30th overall in 14h, 15mins in the Coast to Coast Longest Day. I owe you so much. Cheers from the Swede!