Core Skills – Morning Session
Half Day $189
Learn to roll, develop fundamental skills.
Never kayaked before? Thinking of getting into paddling or competing in the Kathmandu Coast to Coast Race? Core Skills is a pool-session plus a lake-session that will help you get started in the best possible way.
Come and meet our qualified coaches in Christchurch and get started with paddling early. Develop good habits now that will help you on the river later.
Our coaches recommend doing this session before your Grade 2 Certificate Course with us. This will give you an excellent head-start on things and provide you the recommended practice before we tackle whitewater together.
We’ll start with an indoor (heated) pool session, where our coaches will get you started learning how to roll a kayak. We’ll then move to our lake location, where you’ll be taken through a series of flat-water drills that will build the foundations for success in the future.
If you’re an experienced paddler, you are more than welcome to attend this session as a refresher or skills-booster.
- No experience required. All abilities welcome!
- Ideal preparation for our Grade 2 Certificate Course.
- Kathmandu Coast to Coast approved training provider.
- FREE kayak and gear hire included.
- Learn how to roll (or improve your existing roll).
- Train in a small group size of just 2-3 paddlers per coach.
- Receive professional coaching from an NZOIA qualified instructor.
- Opportunity to purchase gear from our mobile store.
- Develop a range of skills and drills that you can practice in your own time.
- Learn more about us…
Skills You’ll Develop
- How to wet-exit and self-rescue.
- How to roll a kayak.
- How to set up equipment properly.
- Fundamental strokes & draws in a whitewater kayak.
- Flat-water drills to help you prepare for our Grade 2 Certificate Course.
- Personalised advice on gear from a qualified coach.
- Plus much more!
- You must be able to swim.
- You need to be of good health & fitness.
- You need to be between 16-65 years old.
- You need to be between 50-110kg.
“Clear feedback and a good progression”
Coach Sam had a clear picture of what each client needed to work on. The rolling session in the pool was good, with clear feedback and a good progression. The quality of the gear was excellent.
“I finished this course actually enjoying it – even the underwater bit!”
From someone who HATES swimming and being underwater, I finished this course actually enjoying it – even the underwater bit! Thanks Sam.
“Perfect preparation for my grade 2 cert”
Small group so really good instructor to client interaction. Coach Sam & Steve where friendly and helpful. They didn’t try to load up with too much stuff all at once which was good for the first course. Just perfect preparation for my grade 2 cert in September.
“A great introduction to kayaking”
This was a great introduction to kayaking and provided me with a solid background. I now have more confidence going into the start of the Grade 2 Course.