Faster Lines Multisport Kayak Course
4 Days $1,249
Take your skills to the next level.
Our Faster Lines Kayak Course is our intermediate/advanced multisport skills program that delivers amazing results. This completely original and innovative program was first introduced to the kayak community in 2013 by Canterbury Kayaking. Being the first program in New Zealand to help multisport paddlers break away from the “beginner” category, attending this training is now seen as must-do for all who take their multisport kayaking seriously.
Two-time Coast to Coast Longest Day Champion Jess Simson attended this program in preparation for her two victories in 2014 and 2015. In 2017 Andrew Sclater trained here, achieving a 7th place in the men’s Longest Day. He then returned to train with us the following year to take 4th in the 2018 Coast to Coast Longest Day.
This is an intensive, four-day skills training program that will take you on a journey like no other. Pushing your river skills to the next level with the support of a NZOIA qualified coach.
Improve and bomb-proof your roll, build on your whitewater skills, and become confident and controlled through the Waimakariri Gorge in your race boat. If you are looking to do better on the river in next year’s event, or are on the fast track to your first big race, then our Faster Lines Course is just what you need to extend your ability.
- Train in your multisport race-boat. First two days in a whitewater boat (supplied), then the following two days in your race-boat.
- Paddle the full Coast to Coast route.
- You’ll train in a small group size of just three paddlers per coach.
- Improve your roll technique, and make it “bomb-proof” for the river.
- Kathmandu Coast to Coast Race approved.
- Receive professional coaching from an NZOIA qualified instructor.
- Learn over four consecutive days so you reach a higher skill level.
- Fully safety audited & registered with AdventureMark.
- Learn more about us…
Skills You’ll Learn
- How to roll your race-boat.
- How to roll in rapids under pressure.
- Improve your whitewater skills.
- How to lead down class 2+ rapids.
- Experience class 3 rapids (depends on group level).
- Inside scoop on Waimak’ short-cuts and how to choose them.
- Develop confidence to paddle centre on wave trains.
- How to use the fast-water to your advantage.
- How to take the outside line on bluff corners.
- How to negotiate rock gardens.
- Learn new techniques for less-stable (faster) boats.
- Plus much more!
- Coast to Coast Course completed (or equivalent racing experience).
- You need to be able to consistently roll a kayak in calm water.
- You need to comfortable on grade 2 in a whitewater kayak.
- You must be able to swim.
- You need to be of good health & high fitness.
- You need to be between 16-65 years old.
- You need to be between 50-110kg.
“This course has given me much more confidence”
Thanks for the great program. I really enjoyed the week with a great group of guys. This course has given me much more confidence to look for faster water on race day. I will be highly recommending this program to others.
Andrew Sclater – 5th, 7th, & 4th place, Coast to Coast Longest Days 2016-2018
I wanted to improve my skills so I had the confidence on race day to paddle as hard as possible. The first 2 days involves lots of white water paddling and rolling. Sam also provides some tips on river flows/dynamics and best areas to paddle in. By the end of day 1 we had notched up 130 rolls. Day 2 involves more white water paddling and some video analysis. By this point everyone was rolling comfortably. Day 3 we move into our multisport boats and transformed our roll to the longer boat. We then completed a lower Waimak run to test the new skills out. Putting it all to the test on a Gorge trip on the final day. I really enjoy these courses. They are well run and organised. We all learnt some valuable white water skills which translated well to the multisport boats and my race results.
Jess Simson – 1st place, Coast to Coast Longest Days 2014-2015
It was awesome being instructed by Sam who is so passionate about lifting the standard of multisport paddling – both in skills & confidence. He made me feel safe to try things out in the boat that I never would have otherwise.
“I became a very competent paddler”
Coast to Coast 2014 I needed a Grade Two Cert. I signed up with Canterbury Kayaking for no other reason than it was so easy to book in through their website. First week and I was hooked, so I followed it up with a another week, then Faster Lines and I became a very competent paddler. In C2C I finished 4th in my division after just nine months in a boat!